Monday 13 January 2014

Waiting for the light

Please allow me to introduce you to a new print which I have made for the New Brewery Arts exhibition opening on Saturday. I wonder if you can guess what its called?


I felt like it was a long wait for this one to come along. In making it I had to wait for the opportunity to trim the copper so that it would fit in the ferric tank, and then I had to wait while I recovered from a viral thing which sapped all my energy. I needed the energy as the plate is 70cm long by 35 cm wide. I'd waited most of the year to make this first large plate at the Gloucestershire Print Co-op.

Why did I wait so long, I wanted a drawing to work with that had dramatic lighting and unusual compositional elements, and this was the drawing I eventually chose:


It always intrigues me how a drawing transforms itself through translation into another medium, both have their own qualities, what one medium lacks, another gains.

I hope you all feel it was worth the wait for a new etching...
and did you get there? this print is called "Wait". My original inspiration was the number of times I asked my husband to 'wait' while I made sketches and took photos at Westonbirt Arboretum, and this scene with its path blocking shadow seemed to epitomise the concept to 'wait'.

1 comment:

Charlton Stitcher said...

It's beautiful - and I will come into Brewery Arts, maybe on Saturday.